Friday, December 24, 2010

Julie finally finished

Obviously it took me quite a while to finish Julie and Julia. I think that was mainly because the book involved cooking, which I rarely do anymore. A long time ago I used to love to cook. I had fun making tasty and attractive dishes for my family and special occasions with the relatives. Then, it seemed as if I was cooking all the time with no one seeming to appreciate my efforts. Food preparation became a chore. Now, having agreed to read Julie and Julia, I was forced to trudge past my "distaste" for the culinary arts. It was actually worth the effort because hidden in the idiocy of things like bone marrow sauce are introspective comments about family, friends, work, and life in general. I found myself agreeing, or disagreeing, with the attitudes put forth in the tales or tidbits. When I finally finished the book, I realized I had spent quite a bit of time comparing my opinions with those of the author, and as trite as it may sound, I learned a lot about myself. There is more to Julie and Julia than a superficial story. A pleasant surprise.

No comments: